Writing new and educational content on a routine and regular basis can be challenging, especially coming up with ideas and then getting those ideas down and published as quickly as possible. If your blogging efforts take more than 30 minutes, that’s too long.
Writing quickly and efficiently doesn’t mean compromising the quality of your output though. We still expect high quality and valuable information. So here are 5 ideas to help you through that process so you can get your blog working for you:
1. Keep a list of ideas. Whether you store this like a tickler file, an electronic file on Evernote, or a something more complex, the concept is to simply have a list of ideas that you can go to get content out there. Inspiration comes at any time, so it’s important to be able to capture the thought so you have it ready when it’s time to write.
2. Lists make excellent content. The best content is brief and concise. If you can provide a list of tips, to do’s or not to do’s in a numbered or bulleted format, you’ve made that content easier to read (or skim) so we can get the ideas fast and easy. Lists also mean you don’t have to spend time on transitional language from one point to the next.
3. Keep it short. I recommend something less than 500 words typically. We have short attention spans and if it looks like it might take a few minutes to read, we often think we’ll come back to it when we have more time. Make every word count.
4. Edit before you begin. This really means keeping yourself on topic. With many topics, we can often cover from soup to nuts, but that’s not the point of a blog post. Remove any supporting ideas that don’t fit directly with the topic at hand. You can always use that supporting documentation for other blog posts as well as longer articles or white papers that you might publish.
5. Never save a good idea. I’ve had many people tell me they’ve got some great blogging content, but they want to save it for later when they don’t have any ideas. You don’t want o save time later, you want to save time now. And the faster you get better content on your web site, the better of you will be in the long run.
Blogging is like everything else – the more you write, the better you get. If you have other favorite blog writing tips, go ahead and share them here.